Take this half day trip to Mount Etna from Taormina: a great way to experience the natural beauty of the area and get some exercise while enjoying the stunning views of the Sicilian countryside.
About this tour:
- Relax with comfortable transportation from Taormina or Giardini Naxos
- Listen to a professional guide, providing insights into the history, geology, and culture of the region
- Take the chance to hike on one of the most active volcanoes in the world
- Dip into Mount Etna's rugged beauty and stunning landscapes
- Admire the peculiar plant species growing exclusively on the Volcano
A half-day tour is a great option for those who are short on time but still want to experience the beauty of Mount Etna. The tour includes round-trip transportation from Taormina, which makes it easy and convenient for visitors. Whether you're interested in the geology of the mountain, the surrounding landscapes, or the culture of the region, a half-day tour to Mount Etna can be a great way to explore this fascinating destination.
Take a hike on Europe’s most active volcano
Meet your driver in Taormina, who will transport you to the slopes of Mount Etna by comfortable minivan or minibus. The journey typically takes around 1 hour, depending on traffic and weather conditions. Your guide will welcome you at the starting point of your trail, getting ready to begin this incredible half day adventure. You will get to hike to some of the so-called 7 lateral craters of Mount Etna, an adventurous and scenic trek that allows you to explore some of the volcano's most fascinating geological features. As you climb higher, you may see see several button-shaped craters, which are small and shallow depressions in the volcanic soil. These craters were formed by explosions that occurred during past eruptions of Mount Etna. Just be sure to wear comfortable hiking shoes, bring plenty of water, and dress in layers as the temperature can vary significantly depending on the altitude. There will also be the chance for free rental of additional equipment, such as wind jacket/kway or walking sticks.
Dip into the impressive ecosystem of Mount Etna
Along your trail, you will also have the chance to admire the unique and diverse range of flora and fauna of Mount Etna is known for, which have adapted to the volcanic environment over time. One of the notable species found on Mount Etna is Betula aetnensis, also known as the Etna birch.
Betula aetnensis is a deciduous tree that can grow up to 20 meters in height. It is a rare species that is endemic to the volcanic soils of Mount Etna, and its distribution is limited to the higher altitudes of the mountain. The Etna Birch is a hardy species, typical of North Eurpe, that has adapted to the harsh volcanic environment and can survive in areas with poor soil quality and low water availability. The Etna birch has a distinctive white bark, which contrasts with the black volcanic rock of the mountain. Its leaves are small and oval-shaped, and it produces catkins in the spring.
Admire stunning Sicilian landscapes and panoramas
During your half-day hike on Mount Etna you can also enjoy spectacular views and breathtaking panoramas that are well worth experiencing. If you are lucky enough to have this tour on a clear day, you may see breathtaking panoramic views of the surrounding landscapes, from the Ionian Sea to the city of Catania and even the little island of Stromboli! Not to mention the surrounding countryside: Mount Etna is surrounded by lush countryside, including rolling hills, fertile valleys, and dense forests, all of which offer beautiful panoramic vistas. Another reason why the beauty and majesty of Mount Etna are sure to leave a lasting impression.
Required: hiking shoes or good walking/sport shoes (no flip-flops!).
Strongly suggested hat and sunscreen.
We regret to inform that this tour is not suitable for guests with wheelchairs or with impaired mobility. Please inform us of any food intolerance or allergy in advance.
Provided that we will do our best to proceed with the tours, avoiding the rain and thus possibly carrying out the tour with our vehicle until and if the rain should stop and road conditions will guarantee a safe tour. If it does not stop raining, the entire tour will be conducted in the safety and comfort of the vehicle.
Since we are aware that the experience running today, might not be the one you had wished for, we are hereby giving you the following choices, to be communicated to our Staff DURING THE CHECK-IN PROCEDURE:
1) Proceed with the tour hoping for clearing weather – PARTIAL activities or NO activities due to heavy RAIN Customers can decide to proceed with the tour hoping for clearing weather with the understanding that It will NOT be granted any refund or discount. We will do our best to accommodate you, weather permitting.
2) Reschedule the tour for another day, subject to availability. Please contact our Booking office in order to ask for availability and rescheduling the experience. If no suitable date / time is available for the reschedule, you will be able to choose any other experience available, upon availability, with an equal or less value, or eventually an experience with a higher value, paying only the difference.
3) A credit, called Rain Check, (of the same amount clients paid) to be used the following days or at any other time, subject to availability. The Rain check is a voucher given to the client. The voucher is transferable and may be sold or given to others to use at a future date and lasts up to 1 year from date. It has a value that can be possibly used in any other tour provided by our company. Please note that clients' safety and comfort are of utmost priority, and proper rain gear is mandatory for guests choosing to "ride in the rain". We ask clients to be at the meeting point 15 minutes before the tour departure, to check the weather conditions and choose accordingly. No-shows will not be refunded.
Please note that we now have 2 MEETING POINTS IN TAORMINA and in GIARDINI NAXOS: Please double check for the correspondent meeting point according to your choosen departure point.
Meet our tour leader in Taormina, in Piazza S. Antonio Abate.
Meet our tour leader in Giardini Naxos, in Viale Dionisio 12.
price per person